Our SEND Procedure

SEN Strategies 3

Phase 1: Quality Universal Inclusive Practice

If your child is finding an aspect of their learning difficult, our team will adapt the learning to help support your child. Take a look at our curriculum page to read more about our approach to teaching and learning at Grace’s.

Phase 2: Initial Concerns

Concerns are discussed with the SENco; further adaptions are put in place and your child will be put on a support plan. You will have every opportunity to review the support that is being put into place.

Phase 3: SEN Support Plan

If your child has not made sufficient progress with the increased level of support, they may need to be placed on our SEN register. If this is the case, a meeting will be arranged with you, Nicole and your child’s Key Person. We will then create an SEN Support plan (IEP) for your child, which will have specific targets related to their area of need.

After your child is placed on the SEN register, we will offer you the chance to meet every 8 weeks to review your child’s targets, progress and agree new targets moving forward.

1-1 image

What if my child needs more support?

If your child has not made the expected progress after multiple cycles of SEN support, we may feel that your child needs an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). This outlines any special educational needs and disabilities your child has and the provision a Local Authority must put in place to help them. Most children with additional needs do not need an EHCP.

EHC Plans are for children whose special education needs and disabilities require more help than would normally be provided in a mainstream education setting. A diagnosis will not automatically mean that an EHCP is needed. An EHCP is a legal document which is written by the Local Authority that describes a child’s special education needs and the help (special educational provision) that they will get to meet those needs. This includes health and social care needs and provision related to their SEND.

In considering whether an EHC needs assessment is necessary, the Local Authority should consider whether there is evidence that despite the early years provider or school  having taken relevant and purposeful action to identify, assess and meet the special educational needs of your child, that there has still not been expected progress.


Applying for an EHCP

A request can be made by anyone who thinks an assessment may be necessary, including doctors, health visitors, teachers, parents and carers. You can request an EHCP yourself but they are far more effective when done in partnership with your child’s education setting. You can contact your Local Authority’s special educational needs department and request an assessment for an EHCP.